Saturday, April 23, 2011

Guppys + Gill Disease?

Recently I've noticed a few of my guppies breathing rapidly at the water surface. Their gills appear slightly swollen and reddish. Could this be gill disease caused by internal bacteria? I do not want to misdiagnose them and give them the wrong medicine because I heard that if you give a healthy guppy antibiotics or other meds, it might kill him!!! The last thing I want is to make a mistake!

The only other reason I can think of for their labored breathing would be insufficient aeration but I figure since I have so many plants, oxygen shouldn't be a problem....

I will most likely put them in a hospital tank and dose them with a week of Maracyn that I have lying around (I was going to use it to treat my cyanobacteria, but found it unnecessary when I took down the tank and bleached it). Maracyn-2 might be better for internal diseases though..........Funny thing is, only the guppies are affected! The platy and gouramis are a-okay. Hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment