Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Bossy Wife


I have had the pleasure of observing my mating pair of Platys for 3-3.5 months now, and I just realized that my female platy is REALLY...BOSSY.

She always scarfs down food like there's no tomorrow (even more so than the other fish), and will push and shove other fish away to get more food even if she looks like she's about to explode. Always hungry and always pregnant, this little mickey is not to be messed with.

She's like a bossy wife, always "ordering" her husband around...I see the male platy always trailing by her fins, and whenever they both find food together, he ALWAYS gives her the food. It's kind of sweet actually...he nudges bits of food with his mouth towards the female platy almost like a peace offering, and the female platy just snatches it and tears it apart. The female also has a small posse of red guppies at her beck and call, but the guppies aren't as whipped as the male platy.


I know male platties are supposed to be skinnier and smaller but mine never looks full at all and I rarely see him eat anything because he's so shy and always gives up his food to his wife. She's already give birth twice to batches of his fry...but I suspect she ate most of her babies (too bossy to be responsible for the upbringing of her kids? ;) just kidding)

Ahh...I still remember it like it was yesterday...when I brought both of them home from the pet store. They cowered behind plants for 2 days, refusing to swim around. Now look at 'em! Lording over the entire tank....haha


******edit

My female platy gave birth again today...but I only caught sight of one fry...which got eaten by a voracious guppy about 5 minutes later. I was shocked for a moment when I saw the little thing dart up to the surface of the water...and the guppy lunged for it...and then munched on it for like 20 seconds. Harsh fish eat fish world!

No comments:

Post a Comment