Sunday, April 10, 2011

Gouramis Mating

I've just spent two hours watching one of the most interesting phenomenon I've thus witnessed since I began fishkeeping 4 months ago: Gouramis having sex. It's by far one of the most fascinating and beautiful exchanges I've ever seen.

As far as I can tell, it began 2 hours ago when the male and female honey gouramis were sharing a snack: a newly born Platy fry :(. After that, their colors became amazingly bright - especially the male, whose orange fins and tails grew exceptionally beautiful. The female grew a little bit paler. Then they began chasing each others tails around the tank.

After playing around for a few minutes, they began wagging their tails furiously, approaching each other cautiously, as if to kiss. But instead of touching lips, they started pressing their bodies together, and then "hugging". The female lies flat against the gravel while the male curves his body towards her and almost has a seizure.

I can tell it's exhausting work because both of them are panting and out of breath, and they "take a break" from each other every 10 minutes or so - staying at opposite sides of the tank until they're ready to meet again.

I've heard many people call it a "courtship dance". Dance indeed! The female will swim 2 strokes back, the male one stroke forward and then vice versa like salsa or tango...It looks quite complicated and intricate...almost aggressive - they nip each other...but in a tender, almost playful way - not in a harmful manner. They also nip and chase away any of the other fish that get too close to them.

It's funny; I didn't expect them to start mating so soon. After all, it's only been one full day since I introduced the male. Speaking of him...he's adorable - he has a birthmark running along his chin like a slim beard. I upset me at first but the blemish is becoming endearing now. I've also learned that the female honey gold (dwarf) gourami will only mate with a male THE SAME COLOR...I had a male fire honey (dwarf) gourami and they didn't even get close to one another. They looked the same except the fire honey was a bit redder. But I guess they were different species?!

No comments:

Post a Comment