Monday, March 21, 2011

Sick Gourami

My Pearl Gourami got sick this past week so I've sequestered him into a small 3 gallon bowl with only a heater, no filter. I felt terrible for not being able to provide a filtered environment for him but at the moment, it's all I can do.

I started treating him for Ich (I saw white spots on his body) with Quick Cure and added 2 drops of Melafix as a precaution. It wasn't until much later that I realized the old bottle of Quick Cure I'd been using is like 98% formaldehyde and 2% Methylene Blue?! Isn't that poisonous? I heard it causes cancer....

I think he's almost all better now but he's acting really lethargic and barely moves. No external symptoms or deep breathing or anything like that though.....I'm reluctant to release him back into the main tank for fear of him potentially spreading internal parasites....!?

I may have to return him to the fish store, which guaranteed healthy specimens. *Sigh*


******Edit

I ended up returning the Pearl Gourami back to the store because it did not improve with treatment, most likely due to lack of a filter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment