Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pregnant Platy

My pregnant Platy mom looks like she's about to BURST (which is what females are supposed to look like a few days before giving birth). But she's looked this fat for almost 3 weeks now - still no sign of new fry.

I hope it's not because she's stressed due to all the "attention" she's been getting from the male guppies. They occasionally chase her around, but she doesn't seem super bothered by it. Then again, she is the only female fish in the tank. Hmm.

I'm a bit worried that I will have too many fry when she does decide to give birth. I have a ton of cover and plants in my large tank, which equates to high fry survival rates. Right now I'm just excited that I'll have new fry soon...but I'm not sure how I will deal with them. It may sound cruel but I might have to feed the babies to my betta fish (if he'll eat 'em). Or I could give them away I guess...but Platies are too common of a fish to warrant a lot of adoptee's attentions.

*********************

On another note. Buy good quality aquarium plants from a reputable, nice and clean looking tank! I bought a cluster of plants from a slightly shady store with some sick Oto cats. The plants are dying as I type and they've only been in the tank for 2 weeks. And the Oto catfish I bought that came from the same tank died 2 days later. It was terrible, but somehow I expected it to happen..... *sighs*

As opposed to some Ludwigia I bought from a reputable fish store, which has been alive for 1.5 months under extremely low light. Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment