Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Buying Cheap Gravel & Fluorescent Bulbs

Someone gave me a good tip today for getting cheap gravel: buy it from a hardware store. It never occurred to me before but, if I cleaned it really well and it was inert gravel, there shouldn't be a problem in using it! A quick lookup revealed that 30kg of gravel (60lbs??) only cost $6. For real??

To think, poor newbies like me dish out $2/lb for aquarium pea gravel. Now I know better!

Bought a new POWER-GLO fluorescent light bulb for my 29G. The old Aqua-Glo was really, dreadfully dim. I plugged in the new bulb and WOW what a difference! The new, brighter light made my old 29G look like a BRAND NEW tank. And remember how I was saying my water seemed cloudy when I looked at it from the side (despite having perfect water readings)?? It was because the light was too dim!! The new light bulb was worth every penny!!

Power Glo is good for fish color AND plants. It cost me $27 for a 20Watt, 24" bulb. Not bad I suppose.

Guy at the store told me that fluorescent bulbs lose 10% of its light intensity every month, and that's why you should replace bulbs every 6-8 months! Makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment