Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Buying a Small Cichlid

As a newcomer to the hobby, I always feel as if I'm not worthy/prepared enough to keep Cichlids. (Pronounced "sick-lid" or "cyclid"). But I figured sooner or later I'll need to try something new, so I am beginning my research on Dwarf/Small Cichlids (My 29 G couldn't possibly house a regular sized one that grows up to 15inches!)

Here's some info I've gathered for myself, and may be useful to you too! Check out pics of these cichlids! I don't have time to post any but they do look beautiful.

Relatively Small-ish Cichlids that are Beautiful at the Same Time
(what a terrible title. :P Anyways.)

1. Jewel Cichlid

- Origins: Shallow rivers in forests of West Africa (cool!)
- Max Size: 4 inches
- Difficulty: Medium
- Compatibility: ** NO SMALL FISH (i.e. tetras), only MEDIUM SIZED fish (i.e. Rainbowfish, Barbs. Territorial and Aggressive when laying eggs.
-Neutral-Low pH, soft, acidic water

2. Ram/Butterfly Cichlid

- Max Size: 2.5-3 inches
- 6-7 pH; Soft, acidic water
- Origins: Colombia & Venezuela rivers in South America
- Compatibility: **** Ok with small fish
- Difficulty: Medium-Hard (needs established tank, lots of cover, sensitive to poor water conditions)


3. Kribensis

- Max Size : 4 inches
- pH 6-7; Soft, acidic water
- Compatibility: **** Can be kept with almost all fish. Aggressive when spawning
- Difficulty: Medium (needs lots of cover, territory dividers)



4. Angelfish

- Max Size: 6 inches (Very tall, vertically, not lengthwise)
- pH 6-7; soft acidic water
- Origins: Amazon River
- Compatibility: *** (eats smaller fish and fry)
- Difficulty: Medium (needs tall, large tank with territorial markers)

No comments:

Post a Comment