Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Naming Your Fish

Nobody wants to repeatedly refer to their beloved guppy as "Poecilia reticulata"...."Oh, Poecilia reticulata, time for dinner!" Quite a tongue twister that is. So I've written up a nice list of Fishy Names you can pick through if you're having trouble naming your new fish.

Before I begin "the list", here are the names of my fish: Neptune, Flora, Flame, Pearl, Eenie, Meenie, Minnie, Moe, The Three Musketeers (My frogs), The Mom, The Pop, Sundrop (Corny names, I know. ;))...and I haven't thought of names for my more recent fish yet.

I'm excited because I will be buying a secondhand 40 Gallon aquarium this Sunday (if all works out), fully set up with undergravel filter, HOB filter, heater and decorations, all for $80. I'm also buying a 25 G bare tank that I may or may not use as a hospital tank for $10. It's all a bit confusing, but if it works out, I will move all my 29G stuff into the 40 G, and move my betta into the 29 G and sell the tiny 10 G tank. We'll see.

Today I purchased a midnight blue fancy guppy and a Golden Honey Gourami. Both are extraordinarily lively and well fed from the mom and pop store near my university, which makes me happy.

Without further ado, the list! (Only the best names will be included here! Some came from my imagination, others came from some websites. I will try not to include too many silly human names in here, unless they sound good.)
  • Superhero names: Flash, Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain America, The Hulk, Spider-man etc.

  • Super Mario Brawl characters: Zelda, Mario, Snake, Yoshi, Link, Kirby, Pitt, Fox etc. ;)
  • Flowery names: Flora, Daisy, Sundrop (=D), Honey, Rosie, Strawberry, Daffodil,

  • Weird/Funny names: Moo Moo, Gills, Humpty Dumpty, Wonka, Tonks, Rolly Polly, Art, BRO, Oboe, Tipsy, Elmo, Gurgle, Edible, Chubby, Chubs, Lunch, Squishable, Slippery, Slidy, Swishy-Swashy, Swashbuckler, Sharky, Salty, Spicy, Wiggle, Giggles, Bibs, Squeaker, Itchy & Scratchy, Nada, Zip, Zilch, BOOM, Ahoy, Hitler, Flipper, Floppy, ZOOM,

  • "Pretty Names": Angel, Lemon, Ginger, Jewel, Isis, Jade, Orchid, Venus, Love, Apollo, Indigo, Midnight, Sparkle, Flotsam, Raindrop, Sunrise, Sunset, Snowy, Meadow, Radiance,

  • No-Nonsense Names: King, Ursula, Zephr, Duke, Duchess, Knight, Prince/Princess,

  • Cute Names: Bubbles, Cleo, Caramel, Chocolate, Flo, Nemo, Goldie, Queenie, Cupcake, Ariel, Muriel, Tapioca, Piglet, Holiday, Luna, Bonnie & Clyde, Whisper,
  • Solid Names: Bosco, Floyd, Gandalf, Kissinger, Maestro, Zero, Viva, Geronimo, Mesmer, Triton, Thor

  • Body Parts: Elbow, Kneecap, Ankle, Toe, Cheeks, Uvula (just kidding)

  • Scary Names: Jaws, Lucifer, Screamer, Trick-or-Treat, Mr. Eats You, Hydra, Kamikaze, Tsunami, Tornado, Monsoon, Bite-Me,





If you can think of some other ones, comment! I'd love to have a comment on my blog! =D Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. A few names you didn't have:

    Cali
    Sparky
    Swimmy
    Spot
    Tiger
    Stripe
    Scooter
    Comet
    Spike
    Puffy
    Turbo
    Peeko
    Squirt
    Bert

    The names of my fish and snails

    ReplyDelete