Sunday, May 1, 2011

Air Pump

So turns out my fish may not have gill disease...Instead, they may be suffering from lack of oxygen or ammonia/nitrite burns. I checked my water parameters and they are all at "0" so that just leaves lack of oxygen as the cause for their rapid breathing at the water surface and red/inflamed gills? I may have also created an ammonia/nitrite spike when I added 8 fish within 2 days due to over excitement. Oh what a newbie mistake!

I have since aquired an Elite air pump to increase aeration in my 29 gallon tank. All I did was connect it to a long airline tube with shut off valve and stick the other end in the tank. It's creating monstrous bubbles and I think that's giving my fish some relief. They aren't gasping anymore so I take it that's a good sign. ;) Air pumps displace air, shifting stagnant air laden with CO2 towards the surface, where gas exchange occurs and the CO2 leaves the tank and Oxygen enters.

I am rehoming my 2 Mickey Mouse Platy today (finally). They have been tortured by my guppies for months. The male guppies take it upon themselves to chase the platy around to near exhaustion. I feel so sorry for them! Especially the female, who was receiving way too much unwanted attention.

Now my tank feels so empty without those overexcited orange fish! I may setup a 40 gallon fish tank today...

No comments:

Post a Comment