Sunday, May 1, 2011

Setting Up New 40 gallon Tank

So I bought a used 40 gallon breeder tank and decided to set it up! Today I rinsed about 50 lbs of gravel for almost 2 hours and then added it to the tank. I will start planning a design and plant additions RIGHT NOW, and I am extremely excited. The tank came with a heavy-duty 48" long lighting fixture which is longer than my tank. The tank will probably not be super pretty at first but I'll upgrade as I go. As of now, I intend to use a cheap Tetra 200w heater and an Aqua-Tech 20-40 filter. We'll see where it goes from there.

*********************************************************************

I want to set up a low-maintenance tank with hardy but attractive plants, but knowing me, I probably won't stick to the plan. I wish I was cool enough to do a minimalist design and add like 20 schooling tetras in there and leave it at that but I absolutely LOVE trying out all sorts of complicated designs so I'll probably be overdoing it again.

~~~~Tentative Plants to Buy/Add List ~~~~

- Java Fern (definitely)
- Water Wisteria?
- Java Moss (definitely)
- Crypt
- Anubias (seems to grow REALLY slowly in my other tank...ehh)
-Sagittaria

I am definitely going to consider adding like 20 cardinal tetras to a simple aquascaped tank though... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment