Sunday, February 27, 2011

About Me! (And my Aquariums)


I doubt anyone will be reading this blog...but if you happen to stumble across it, don't hesitate to say hi! I'm a total newbie when it comes to the hobby, so if you notice an error in my ramblings, please let me know. If you feel like adding something or making a suggestion, also let me know! I'd love to get to know others who share my passion for fish.

A little bit about me...(I guess this should've been the first post? I got a bit carried away...)

*side: a photo of the left side of my 29G tank.

I just started keeping fish as pets 2 months ago. I am a university student trying to maintain 2 fish tanks on a budget. So don't be surprised if you hear me mention some money-saving tips...haha. I have a 10 G Hagen tank which currently houses my prized Betta fish and 3 African Dwarf Frogs. I also have a 29 G tall Hagen tank with 4 Guppies, 2 Platies, 4 Cory Cats, 1 Oto Cat, 2 Ghost Shrimp.

My Complete Plans for the 29G Tank:

When I complete it, I want it to look like this:

7 Fancy Guppies
1 Breeding pair of Mickey Mouse Platys
2 Pearl Gouramis* (this is a maybe. I was also considering Golden Dwarf Gouramis)
6 Spotted (False Julii) Corydora Catfish
2 Oto Catfish
5 Ghost Shrimp

In terms of live plants, I currently have:

4 Ludwigia plants
6 Vallisneria plants
3 Java ferns
Large clump of Java Moss
6 leafy plants (can't find their names! Gah!)

I'm going for a natural look, so I added some carefully washed/scrubbed stones. I'm also trying to prepare some driftwood I found by the beach. I'd like to add a centerpiece driftwood, preferably one I find. This is a great money-saving strategy because a) it allows you to have more freedom of choice b) it's free!!

It's time consuming but hopefully it'll be worth the wait? Cured driftwood in pet stores look ugly to me. That's just my opinion. They don't really look artsy or stylistic at all. Plus, a small piece of ugly wood costs $20 where I live. Geez.

Side note: From my understanding, you prepare driftwood you find on the beach or wherever like so:

- Make sure it's dead wood (no green bits, no soggy bits)
- Peel the bark, scrub it thoroughly in hot water.
- Boil it in salt water for 2 hours to kill bacteria & pathogens.
- Soak it in a bucket full of clean water for 1-4 weeks.
- Change water daily as tannins will leak, making the water murky/brown
- Soak until the water no longer turns brown
- Soak until the wood sinks by itself* or you could just tie it to a rock so it'll sink.

Yup. That's what I'm doing right now. One small piece of wood I found already sank! Yay!

My parents liked the tacky look (castle, bridge, bright neon blue gravel...) but I think my fish are thanking me for providing a more realistic home.


Up next: Stocking Ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment