Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus

Well, isn't that name just a mouthful.

I bought this LED light bar during a Boxing Day sale at King Ed's. After much back and forth and internal debate, I decided to buy the 24-36" model for my 36 gallon bowfront. Cost about $140 after taxes. It would've cost $200.

This is the link for this beauty:

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-led-fixtures/satellite-freshwater-led-plus/

Dimensions: 22.8"x3.5"x0.44" (very long but thin and not very wide)



If you read my previous post on getting ripped off on eBay with cheap knockoff LEDs, you'll be happy to know I learned my lesson.

Without further ado, let's make a PROS & CONS list:

PROS


  • Current Satellite LED fixtures are brand name and include warranty. (Unlike the cheap knockoffs off eBay I bought) 
  • Very easy to remove packaging and assembles in about 5 minutes. Plus another 5 min if you want to set the time and timer.
  • Runs on a preset timer if you want it to (slowly gets brighter to simulate sunrise and dimmer for sunset)
  • Very affordable in my opinion compared to other brands; great quality at a great price
  • Cheaper to run in the long term. To replace each fluorescent bulb on my 36 gallon would cost about $25 each every 8-12 months or so. I was running 3 x 24" fluorescent bulbs on my 36 gallon and it still wasn't bright enough. If I kept replacing the energy hogging fluorescents, it would cost me $75/ 8-12 months. So this LED light will pay for itself in less than 2 years. 
  • Very slim - 0.44" that's 1.1cm thick!! (My bulky fluorescent light fixture was about 10cm thick)
  • Very light - about a pound
  • Adjustable legs allow this light to be used on an aquarium as long as 36"! That means 40-50 gallon aquariums!

  • RGB leds - these are what make this unit worth more. RGB lights are essential for plant growth because they supply the right light spectrum for photosynthesis. And this unit has 24 RGB as well as 48 White LEDS. My plants have flourished under this light!
  • Only runs 18watts vs. 45 watt fluorescents
  • Wide angle LEDs mean that though this unit seems very small, it packs a lot of light emitting power and scatters bright light to all corners of my 36 gallon tank, easily.

  • Color customization and "weather" settings via remote control: You can choose the levels of red, green, blue and white light in the tank or select one of the preset options: sunset, sunrise, thunderstorm, cloudy, sunny, sunny with clouds, moonlight...Fun to play with and show off to my friends 
CONS
  • Relies a lot on the remote control to function which means if you lose the remote or break it...could be pricey to replace

  • The top of the light gets a little hot if it's been running for a few hours 


I have nothing but good things to say about this light. In addition to the cheap ebay knockoffs, I also have Marineland LED light units and while they are cheaper, they are only blue and white and not useful for plant growth. I find that most blue & white only led fixtures make the tank and inhabitants look very "cold" and drab. A full spectrum light allows fish and plants to look a lot "warmer" and natural. 

So yup. My 2 cents.

Chesmok






No comments:

Post a Comment